No American legacy is quite as enduring as the one Walt Disney spawned early in the 1920s. Since their first inception, the characters birthed by Disney and his staff have fascinated the youth of our nation so beguilingly that the delight often continues well into adulthood. If you're interested in expressing your Disney love or simply enchanting the children in your life, consider recreating a favorite character's outfit with one of the many Disney sewing patterns currently on the market.
Finding Disney Sewing Patterns
The best thing about sewing Disney costumes is the huge array of possibilities. Even if your kids don't love the same characters that enthralled you as a child, it's easy to find advanced or beginner patterns for contemporary characters that are sure to please the youngest members of your family. With a little time and patience, it's possible to find even the most elusive patterns based on Disney characters. These pattern sources will get you started:
- Amazon: At Amazon, you can find patterns for Alice in Wonderland, Cinderella, Snow White, Tinker Bell, Donald or Daisy Duck doll costumes, and nearly all of the most popular Disney princesses. Most patterns are made by trusted names like Simplicity, McCalls, and Buttericks.
- Simplicity Patterns: At Simplicity online, patterns for older kids include Lizzie McGuire and Hannah Montana. For toddlers and preschoolers, the offerings include a number of classic character patterns like Peter Pan, Snow White, and Cinderella.
- Pattern Review: This web site features many out of production and rare patterns such as early Snow White outfits and Disney Princess dresses. In addition to doll dress patterns, you can find patterns to fit toddlers and younger school age children.
- Etsy: Several Etsy users have offered up a treasure trove of vintage Disney sewing patterns. Among the selections, you'll find Aladdin characters, Peter Pan and Tinker Bell, Minnie Mouse, Pinocchio, and a Mickey and Minnie bundle. The selection at this site is always changing, so check back often if you don't find your pattern the first time you look.
- Ebay Auction: Here, you can bid on a number of Disney patterns including Rapunzel from the film Tangled, Toy Story characters, Jack Sparrow, Aristocats characters, Winnie the Pooh, and Snow White. The offerings rotate on a regular basis as items are sold, but the selection and diversity are outstanding.
- Sewing and crafting shops: For a more hands-on approach, local sewing stores as well as big chains like Jo-Ann Fabrics or Hobby Lobby usually have a large selection of patterns. If you can't find what you're looking for, they may be able to order a specific design for you.
Types of Disney Character Sewing Patterns
You can choose from three main types of sewing patterns: classic characters, modern characters, and live action characters. No matter which you pick, you'll love recreating these famous costumes.
Doing It Old School
Although these Disney stars are just as popular as the day they left the animation studio, they are rooted in the earliest history of Disney's creations. Both children and playful adults still enjoy taking on the personas of some of Disney's classic animated characters like the ones listed here:
- Mickey or Minnie Mouse
- Donald or Daisy Duck
- Snow White
- Tinker Bell
- Peter Pan
A Modern Take
The explosion of animated Disney features and TV programs released during the latter half of the 20th century brought a new generation of Disney lovers into the fold. Combined with a hefty lineup of Disney cartoons of the same era, these films introduced a whole new range of sewing pattern possibilities into the market. Use the following list to fire up your imagination:
- Darkwing Duck characters
- Talespin characters
- Characters from Aladdin
- The Incredibles characters
- Buzz Lightyear or Woody from the Toy Story franchise
- Ariel from The Little Mermaid
- The Lion King characters
Known for keeping its finger on the pulse of the youth, Disney's live action films and television shows have produced modern day heroes ranging from the simple girl next door to swashbuckling sea-farers. These types of patterns are good choices for sewing Halloween costumes for kids or adults:
- Hannah Montana
- Pirates of the Caribbean
- Lizzie McGuire
- Bridge to Terabithia
- Road to Avonlea
- The Princess Diaries
Choosing the Right Pattern
When selecting a Disney sewing pattern, be sure to choose a design that fits with your experience level. You may find that some patterns, such as those for Disney princess costumes, come in several variations to suit seamstresses of any level. Doing your research and choosing the right pattern for you will help ensure that you're happy with the results.