Whether you need a costume for a theme party or simply want to make a dress-up outfit for a special kid, it's easy to make wizard robes. In fact, this project is perfect for a beginner.
How to Sew Wizard Robes in Six Easy Steps
Before you start your project, you'll need to pick a fabric. If you're making a Harry Potter-inspired wizard costume, choose a medium weight black fabric. For a different look, consider a royal blue fabric printed with stars or swirls. If you're a beginner, choose a fabric that is cotton or a cotton blend, since these fabrics are easy to handle. More experienced seamstresses can give their wizard robes a little extra flair by using a satin or velvet material.
Before you get started, you'll also need to measure the person who will be wearing the wizard robe. You'll need the following measurements:
- Shoulder height: the height of the person from ankle to the top of the shoulder
- Arm span: the length from wrist to wrist with arms extended
- Arm length: the length of the person's arm from underarm to wrist
- Shoulder circumference: the length of a measuring tape draped loosely around the shoulder
Add one inch to each measurement as you write it down. This gives room for a half-inch seam allowance.
Things You'll Need
You'll need the following supplies to make one child-sized wizard robe. To create an adult-sized robe, simply purchase more fabric and trim.
- Three yards of desired 54-inch-wide fabric
- Eight yards of braid trim in chosen color
- Frog closure, available at your fabric store
- Sewing machine and thread
- Tape measure, scissors, pins, fabric pencil, and hand sewing needle
What to Do
- Spread out the fabric, and cut it into two equal rectangles. The length of the rectangles will be the person's shoulder height, and the width will be the person's arm span. Fold each rectangle in half with the shoulder height sides together.
- Divide the shoulder circumference measurement in half to get the sleeve width. Measure from the top of the shoulder height side of the rectangle, and mark the sleeve width with the fabric pencil. Next, measure from this mark in toward the center fold until you reach the arm length measurement. Once again, mark this point with a fabric pencil. Then draw a line connecting these two points.
- Cut along the line to create the sleeve, and then cut down at a diagonal from the underarm to the bottom corner. Repeat with the other rectangle to create the front of the wizard robe. Next, cut the front piece up the middle, and gently round the collar.
- Lay out the back piece with the right side facing up. Lay the front pieces on top of it with the right sides facing down. Line up the top shoulder seams, the underarm seams, and the side seams. Pin all the seams.
- Use your sewing machine to sew all the seams, leaving a half-inch seam allowance. Turn the robe right side out and iron it. Hem the cuffs, front opening, collar, and bottom edge, and iron again.
- Attach decorative braid along the cuffs, collar, front opening and bottom of the robe. Hand sew the frog closure at the neck.
You can add a little more magic to your wizard robe using these embellishment ideas:
- Create a simple waist sash in a complementary color of fabric to give the robe additional shape.
- Attach an appliqué or patch to the robe. This is especially fun if you're creating a robe inspired by the Harry Potter books, since you can use an insignia to represent the house at Hogwarts.
- Line the robe in a contrasting color. To do this, simply create a second robe and sew the two together instead of hemming.
- Add more than one row of braid to give the robe a richer look.
- Use fabric paints to create a special design on the front or back of the robe.
A Fun, Simple Project
Although learning how to sew a wizard robe may seem overwhelming at first, this is actually a simple project. It's important to measure as carefully as possible, but don't worry if it isn't perfect. This robe is meant to be loose, so it's very forgiving of mistakes. Take your time, and you'll love the results.